Course Mail: sign-up to bite-size learning for a sustainable built environment
UKGBC’s Course Mail is on-demand learning, accessible on-the-move or at your desk. You and your colleagues can receive bite-sized learning in easy-to-read emails direct to your inbox on key topics surrounding sustainability and the built environment. These are designed to provide entry-level knowledge on sustainability that can be shared throughout organisations.
Who should sign up?
- Course Mail is aimed at those not yet involved in sustainability or those simply wanting a refresh.
- The Course Mails may be of particular interest to you if you are a professional working in architecture, M&E/civil engineering, construction, and in general if you are a stakeholder of any built environment project and wish to have a quick, clear, basic introduction to sustainability. This course will empower you to start discussions with other professionals around green principles and how you might be able to incorporate these in your projects.
- Prior knowledge of Sustainability is NOT a requirement.
Why sign up?
Sustainability is business-critical. Your organisation is competing in a fast-changing world, where sustainability imperatives are becoming more prominent for investors, employees, and the wider industry. Through the Course Mails you can keep up to date with the key information you need to make sure you understand the:
- Business case for a sustainable built environment
- Key drivers, policy, frameworks and market demand for sustainable buildings and infrastructure
- Key principles of green building and construction
- FREE for UKGBC members
- £30 per person plus VAT for non-members
Sign up by clicking the links below. After signing up you will receive an automatic ticket email from Eventbrite as confirmation. You will then receive the first Course Mail shortly after.
Series 1 – Sustainability in the Built Environment
The first series will take you through the basics in sustainable development with key principles and latest research, covering eight themed mailings:
- Sustainability Principles
- Climate Change and the Built Environment
- Energy and Carbon Efficiency in Buildings
- Buildings and Human Health
- Sustainable Use of Natural Resources in Construction
- The Building Lifecycle
- Sustainability at the Neighbourhood and Urban Scale
- Creating a Better Built Environment
Series 2 – What is a Sustainable Building?
The aim of this series is to provide a summary of what a sustainable building looks like, not only in terms of physical features but also processes and impact of stakeholders. The building lifecycle provides the structure for the series.
The four key sustainability topics covered in this series are:
- Is Concept Stage the Right Time to Kick Off Sustainability?
- What are the Sustainable Considerations at Design stage?
- What are the Features of Sustainable Construction?
- What Role does Sustainability Play in Operation and Disposal/Revival of Buildings?
Series 3 – Circular Economy in the Built Environment
The aim of this series is to provide an overview on circular economy in the built environment looking at materials, buildings, cities and infrastructure. A set of drivers towards circularity and efficient use of resources will complete this series.
The four key topics covered in this series are:
- Introduction to Circular Economy: Setting the Scene
- Circular Economy from a Micro-scale Perspective: Materials and Buildings
- Circular Economy from a Macro-scale Perspective: Cities and Infrastructure
- Leadership Examples: A Vision Towards Circular Economy
Series 4 – Nature & Biodiversity in the Built Environment
Through the series we will introduce the importance of restoring nature and biodiversity in the built environment not just for the intrinsic value but in order to mitigate and adapt to climate change, promote the health and wellbeing of people and create long lasting socio-economic value.
It is split into four emails:
- Why Nature and Biodiversity is Important to the Built Environment
- Green and Blue Infrastructure
- Biodiversity Net Gain
- Natural Capital and Ecosystem Services
Series 5 – Advancing Net Zero
The built environment sector represents 40% of the UK’s total emissions and is highlighted in the Committee on Climate Change Progress Report as offering some of the most cost effective opportunities to reduce emissions. Achieving a ‘net zero’ carbon built environment will require action at an unprecedented pace and scale.
This Course Mail series will examine the route to ‘Advancing Net Zero’ and the key opportunities for the construction and property sector.
It is split into four emails:
- Introduction to Advancing Net Zero
- Net Zero Carbon Buildings
- Scope 3 Emissions in the Built Environment
- Business Leadership for a Net Zero Built Environment
Series 6 – Social Value in the Built Environment
Please note, this event is currently open for pre-registration only. Series 6 – Social Value Course Mails will begin to be distributed in May.
The social value course mail will examine the importance of social value in the built environment and how this can be implemented in practice.
The series will cover:
- Introduction to social value in the built environment
- Key drivers for a social value approach
- Putting communities at the heart of decision-making
- Measuring social value